Wednesday 1 June 2016

Today on my train journey home I saw a man with no left arm and then, on the next train, a women with no left leg.

Now I like to think of myself as scientific, but I could not help but think this must mean something.

My first take was that I was in danger of losing something left, either a left leg or arm, but why would the sign be one of each, would I lose both.

Or what the sign about the left, recently I have had growing concerns about the direct left politics is going in the western world, perhaps it was political.

It makes more sense that destiny would maim two human beings to make a comment on politics, right?

But something about us makes me uneasy about seeing the two together like that, I can't shake it easily.

It must be something human, so don't give me that it is in our brains hardwired, and if I lived in a time when lots of people were mutilated, like when I was in Romania, then I would think nothing of it.

It must have something to do with words, with my belief that words must mean something.

I know that the two limbless people on the train were random accidents, but what about words?  Is not my faith in language the same in my suspicion that the two mutilated humans have some message for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment